As the sender, you are responsible for knowing the rules/regulations in the countries/areas you are sending communications to.
Sending prohibited content can lead to permanent expiration of the entire SMS Short Code, Long Virtual Number or Toll-Free Number.
It's also illegal to send unsolicited text messages to people without their consent, and the fines can be heavy. This is why obtaining consent through opt-ins is so important.
Here is a list of prohibited content in the United States:
- SHAFT: sex, hate, alcohol, firearms, tobacco content
- vaping or marijuana/cannabis or content relating to dispensaries
- anything relating to debt or loans, including financial schemes
- pirated computer programs, viruses, spyware, worms, or other harmful code
- fraud, spam, and phishing
- deceptive marketing
- anything that can be interpreted to be infringing, defamatory or otherwise objectionable, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, vulgar, offensive, obscene, pornographic, hateful, or promoting discrimination, bigotry, or racism