Here are the steps to follow if you want to import to Carts Guru your existing contacts through a CSV file.
First, you can export contacts from:
- Your CMS (Shopify, Prestashop, Magento, etc)
- Your CRM or DMP (database)
- Your mailing tools or providers
You should then have a CSV file that looks like this:
There are two key things to check and modify if needed:
- Contacts have to be opted in (subscribed to your communications)
- Phone numbers have to be in the international format. E.g: USA ‘14151234567’, France ‘336123456789’
Remove any opted-out contacts and correctly format phone numbers, then you can start to clean your CSV file by deleting unnecessary columns.
Your CSV file needs to include an Email Address column, but we also recommend First Name, Last Name, and Phone Number. You can get rid of the rest. If you don’t have time to delete columns now, no worries: you can come back to it later.
A properly cleaned CSV file will look like this:
Once your file is clean and saved in CSV format (which can be done in Excel or Google Sheets) you can import it to Carts Guru. Before doing the import, you have to think if you want to have those contacts included in the 'All contacts' list, which will likely be the case if you just installed the app, or if you want to import your contacts into a separated list.
To import your contacts without assigning them to a specific list, just follow the steps below. Otherwise, have a look at this article before doing the import.
- Go to the left-sidebar and click Contacts.
- Then, in the upper part of the screen, click the orange "Import" button.
- Choose whether you want to import your contacts or orders. In this case, click on "Contacts".
- Find and select the .csv file you want to import.
- After the file has been processed, select the relevant fields that you want to map. For example, George -> First Name, US -> Country, and so on. If a field doesn’t exist (in this case, it is the column Optin/Subscribed), select “Do not map that field”.
- After mapping all the fields, click Next.
- Finally, review whether your contacts have opted-in to email or SMS communications and choose whether you want to include these contacts in the static list you created before (Remember: all your contacts are automatically added to a dynamic "Match everyone" list).
- Click "Import Now" and you're done!
If you have just installed the app, you might want also to import your order data in order to segment your contacts base according to their purchase history.